Office of Risk Management


What if I am on ISU business while driving my own car and have an accident?

Insurance follows the car.  Your personal policy pays.  ISU's auto policy provides excess liability coverage over and above your own liability coverage, if that should become necessary.  It does not cover property damage.

Are there settlement situations where the departmental account might be charged back for damages resulting from a loss (such as a deductible)?

There is a $500 deductible for collision involving University owned or leased vehicles.  The deductible is charged back to the department if our driver was at fault.

In the event of windshield breakage or other comprehensive claims (i.e. hitting a deer), the responsible department/individual will be charged the deductible amount of $100 for damages to the vehicle.

Can student workers drive University vehicles?

Students may drive University vehicles as part of their job function.  However, they must first successfully complete the Defensive Driving Course which is offered at no charge by calling Risk Management at x7946.  Additional restrictions may apply.

How do I sign up for Defensive Driving?

Contact Sherry O'Neal, x7946.  Self-study courses are offered on Tuesday mornings, all day on Wednesdays, and Thursday afternoons in the Human Resources Testing Room.

Since the University doesn't provide 15 passenger vans, can I rent one for our field trip?

No.  The University recognizes the increased liability involved with 15 passenger van rollover accidents and will NOT provide coverage for their use under any circumstances.

What is the deductible on property insurance?

ISU's property insurance has a $100,000 deductible. (See Property Insurance page for exception.)

If I take a laptop home to work, is it insured?

In order to have insurance coverage ($1,000 deductible) when taking equipment off campus you must notify Sherry O'Neal, Risk Management, 200 Rankin Hall, including a description of equipment, value of equipment, property tag number, location, and dates that equipment will be off campus.  This must be done prior to your trip.

Why do we require a Certificate of Insurance from everyone who uses an ISU facility?

Universities nationwide require non-university affiliated groups to provide proof of insurance coverage.  ISU requires $1,000,000 general liability coverage and Indiana State University/Board of Trustees named as "additional insured."  This protects the University from losses that do not involve University personnel.

If I bring my personal property, i.e. stereo equipment, books, artwork, etc., to the office and it is stolen or damaged, is it covered by our insurance?

The University can not insure personal property.  Please take care to secure valuable items and check your homeowner's policy to see if it provides coverage.

Are students insured if they are injured on campus?

Students are not insured through the University.  It is highly recommended that students obtain health insurance if they are not covered on the parents' policy.  The UAP Clinic-ISU Health Center can provide information on student health coverage at